Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Tony's Impromptu Garden

A few months ago, maybe back in September, Tony had a trench in front of his house that needed filling. I had a couple of worm bins of poop I could unload. It was a perfect match. Sure as shit, stuff started growing out of that worm poopy trench.

Tony was smooth enough to talk his girl, Clare, into collecting images of the growth over the past couple months. I plan to get these progressive images up one of these days. Meanwhile, we'd been scratching our heads over what the hell could be growing and determined that it must be some sort of squash.

Here's where you should imagine me leaning back in a high-backed leather chair, puffing on a pipe Camel while wearing a smoking jacket with leather on the elbows and a reminiscent thought bubble over my cartoon head as I thought back to
the squash I'd eaten
and the pulpy,
stringy gunk
and seeds
from those squashes
I'd fed to the worms
over the past couple years or so.

It was narrowed down to summer squashes like zucchini or yellow crookneck.
Or winter squash such as carnival, butternut or delicata.
Of course, there are the squash I may have eaten and forgotten about entirely. Like the acorn, which I suddenly remember having eaten.
So really, we just had it narrowed down to squash.
Thankfully, I did my undergrad biology/microscopy thesis on Curcurbita maxima, otherwise I'd have never believed Tony and Clare's leaves as squash since tomatoes were most prevalent thus far.

Based on Tony's verbal description and the photos Clare graciously supplied today, it looks like they might be growing some of these:

That shiny thing in the bottom of the image isn't a squash, it's a quarter. You can use it as a reference for squash size. Or you can go by the fact that the butternut in the back weighs in at 3.53 lbs and the giant pickle-like delicata came in at 1.03 lbs.

It'll be cool to see if Tone's growths grow up to be 100% identifiable. Considering that it's getting below 60°F regularly now, we might not see that happen. Keep your fingers crossed. Better yet, get on Tony's ass about putting together some sort of impromptu greenhouse for the sake of us being able to determine that we were right about the fruits being squash.

Anyone have an old swing-set they want to get rid of? I've a truck I can move it with.

............................................................................................................................
In other real-time news, since I haven't posted in nearly 3 weeks:
  1. I fed the worms some of Ali's liquid diet lemon halves from the big bag outside 2.5 weeks ago. Then I put the little bag I'd been keeping in my fridge inside the big bag and put the bag outside. More than a week ago, I brought that bag inside to feed the worms. Because I was so concerned about my snake, Sleepy, being constipated and having a wacko lesion on his neck, I forgot about the lemons. The bag of lemons has been sitting on the floor of my kitchen (kicked toward the slider -- it's cooler there) since then. I'll feed some more to the worms this weekend. On a side-note, trash compactor bags are pretty heavy-duty; the lemons haven't leaked and I can't smell them. I'm sure though the lemons are quite disgusting by now.
  2. How Chuck's grape-bits went over with the worms is still in my "things-to-post" queue.
  3. Outskirts had another uber-wet worm-bin issue where she saw that there were again INCHES of water in the catch bin. This time around, I nosed around because inches of water just doesn't make any freakin' sense. Turns out, she was soaking all of the paper she was giving her worms this whole time. Remind me, and we'll discuss this later.
  4. Bill's Banana Peel's baggie, other than visits by yours truly, hasn't seen much action. Because I can't stand the texture of bananas, it's pretty much full of apple cores from Fuji or Ambrosia apples I eat for breakfast. Again, Bill sucks. He says he doesn't want to touch the exterior of the bag as he's sure it's covered in "rotten food scum".
  5. Kimberly hasn't coughed up any of her shredded paper. I need to get on her about that.
Speaking of things I need to get on, I need to get onto posting more regularly. News is lengthier than the post.

Oh, and judging from extremely quick glances of recent mud-run photos observed today, Cang has hot legs. Just sayin'.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Mena,

Que me up for some more of that shit you're processing. It's da' bomb!

Not Tony

Worm Wrangler said...

Not Tony, you're in the poop queue.

Anonymous said...

no me gusto Tony Barboni