Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Number 4 Gets Chuck's Grape Bits

Now that you know about Number 4, it's time you met face-to-face.

Everyone, meet Number 4.


As I told you previously, I had prepared Numbers 4 and 5 like normal worm bins, but instead of supplying a pound of worms in each, I simply added some worms in from when I was finishing older bins.

This is what it looked like:


All I did was add whatever worms and remaining organics were in an older "finished" bin to the tops of 4 and 5. So you can see 4 had at least some pistachio shells and an avocado pit added to the paper. In there next to the avocado pit is a new growth of some sort.

Digging around, I saw that at least one of the worms was still alive!


Since I didn't see any remaining food in the bin from when I made my first food placement, I decided to give Number 4 some of Chuck's goods: those grape stems and husks. At this point, the grape stems and husks were becoming pretty moldy. I'm sure the worms were chomping at their tiny bits for some of that action! So I dumped a good few tong-fuls in each side of the bin.


And then I buried the grape bits with the paper goods in the bin. We'll see how it goes over for these immature guys.

All of the feeding above happened September 4th.
.......................................................................................................
Today is Nov. 17th. Time for new news:

While you'd think it'd be about Number 4, it's not. It's new news.

I told you that I'd received a bunch of lemon halves from one of my coworkers. Ali, the crazy Persian who went on a self-inflicted liquid diet for 10 days, yielded a ton of lemons which he left to leak in my cubicle.

The larger of two bags of lemon halves has been sitting outside my front door since Friday. The smaller bag has been in my fridge. Hey, now, I was sick over the weekend and didn't have the strength or memory to bring the outside bag inside. No matter, the worms will like them whatever their condition. I will feed the worms some of these lemon halves this weekend at the latest.

Stay tuned.

And I swear, I'll give an update on Chuck's grape remnants. Poke a needle in my eye if I don't.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

w00t w00t I AM MAKING A COMMENT

Worm Wrangler said...

Hi there, you cute little w00ting Anonymous person, you.

Anonymous said...

sup baby

Worm Wrangler said...

How YOU doin', Hot Legs?