Monday, September 13, 2010

Handy's Tomato

One Monday morning about a month ago (August 17th, to be exact, I'm anal that way) I went into work, all set for a slew of emails and documentation. While plopping my backpack (which really serves as a *choke* purse slash lunchbag but in a much less femmie way) I spied a surprise on my desk: a giant Roma tomato.

And was that sucker huge! It was the size of an avocado, I kid you not.

Is this worm fodder like I usually get from Kimberly*? Nah, can't be! This baby was ready for eatin', not at all past it's prime.

There it sat on a regular 3x3" Post-It (I'm sort of anal that way too).

Check it out:


In case you can't read what the Post-It says:
Grown accidentally from your compost! The bush is bigger than the filing cabinet behind you!
And that filing cabinet is big: a 4-drawer fire-proof behemoth. Big. Fireproof. (Thanks Bill*!). Big. Fireproof big. And note the use of the word "bush" rather than "plant". Take a look at those giant tomato plants -- in an apartment complex no less. Amazing!

Above image courtesy of Handy.

That's one big-assed lot of tomato plant(s) grown accidentally from seeds of a tomato I'd eaten the majority of many months ago and neglected to remove from the worm poop I gave Handy* back in May/June. (I could look up the exact date if you want. Again, I'm anal that way).

Turns out, that was one delicious tomato.

And, Chuck*? That tomato didn't turn out to be poisonous at all, so you can quit all of that tomatoes-growing-from-seeds-being-poisonous paranoia-spreading nonsense.

Thanks, Handy, I appreciate the feedback!

*Names may or may not have been changed to protect the innocent.

No comments: