Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Growing Celery from Celery, Weeks 1-3

I bought some celery mid March to make some chicken stock, which turned out fabulously by the way. Normally I'd throw the celery butt in a container to be fed to the worms later, but this time I saved it.

Nine hours after cutting the stalks from the butt, I plopped that butt in a shallow container of water.


That next morning, when I upped the water level, Spooky began showing some interest.


A couple of days after that, day 3, I could really see that the celery was actually growing. I gave it more water.


Three days later, day 6, the growth was quite impressive. Almost freakish. It actually looked like celery. I mean I'd have guessed it was celery even if it wasn't growing from celery. I gave it more water.


Day 7, I added water to the celery dish, shoved Spooky's nose out of the way (black arrow), and rubbed my eyes because it looked like the celery grew half a freaking inch in a day.


Day 11 the biggest change was in the leaves. The stalks look like a regular cluster but it's in the leaves where you can see the separation of stalks. And I gave the celery more water.


And now like true teenagers, some stalks have really hit a growth spurt by day 13. And as an FYI it was this day that I used some plain Greek yogurt in a batch of lemon muffins. I didn't particularly care for them. They were lemon muffins. Then I gave the celery more water.


By day 21 the celery stalk growth had slowed quite a bit and the only thing new on that end was the cat hair (arrows). It dawned on me that I should check for roots and holy guacamole, there's a root, all tiny and shiny and white like a toddler's first tooth. Then I added more water.


Later that day I found out why the celery had hair on it and went through so much water.

No comments: