Monday, March 12, 2012

Buzzy Herb Grow Kit



Late last summer I did the Buzzy Salsa Garden Kit. This time, I'm gonna rock the Herb Grow Kit. It sounds like I'm going to grow some ganja, doesn't it? I bought it from Big Lots for $5. They didn't even do a price increase from last year. How does Big Lots even make money?

I started by following these directions. You can click the photo if you want to check it out.


The kit includes a galvanized trough, a bag of soil, and three packets of seeds. The soil bag has some verbage about fertilizing. I included the photo for my own reference so's I don't forget later.


Most of the soil was transferred to the trough. I guesstimated on the amount to reserve by pinching some in the corner of the bag and dumping the rest.


I measured 1.5 cups of water, and poured it over the length of the trough.


When I started stirring the water into the soil, I was considering adding more water but the quantity turned out to be perfect.


Five seeds each of Sweet Basil, Chives, and Parsley were sprinkled into their respective third of the container. Unlike when I did the Salsa Garden, I know which end has what in it. The end with the basil is the one with the little circular handle flipped up and thus the other end is parsley. If I never turn the other one up, I'm golden. Check out the seeds though. They're adorable things!


Do you see the parsley seeds? Me either! Just kidding, you should be able to see one in there. The basil and chive seeds though, impossible to visualize. Mostly because they are black but their shapes allow for rolling into nooks and even crannies.


The remaining soil was poured over the length of the trough, leveled out, and misted well to moisten before the trough was put in the sunlight, approximately 1 foot from where I performed all of this labor.


Seven to ten days from yesterday we should see some life if I remember to mist regularly. Fingers crossed. I saved the remaining seeds just in case.

No comments: