Sunday, March 25, 2012

Buzzy Herb Grow Kit, Weeks 1 and 2

Sunday, March 11th
I started the Buzzy Herb Grow Kit.

Sunday, March 18th
Four of the five basil seeds had germinated yielding tiny two-leafed seedlings were poking out of the soil. Two of the five chive seeds had germinated in the center of the container to give very fine blades of what really looked like short grass.


Saturday, March 24th.
While the four basil plants simply grew a little taller, the two chives went gangbusters on growth. You'll have to click on the photo to see clearly, but the chives grew sort of weird. There's a blade shooting out perpendicularly from the base blade so they look like weird "7"'s.


The parsley finally poked out of the soil just two days before this image below was collected. In those two days the parsley grew taller than the basil or chives. Each of the five parsleys have long tapered pairs of leaves.


I'm anxious to see when the plant leaves will start looking like I'd expect them to instead of generic little plant leaves.

Having reviewed the kit instructions, I realize I need to consider transplanting somewhat soonish. Right now (I just checked), the tallest parsley is 2.5", the chives are 2" and the basil are 1" tall. I need to make a trip to Home Depot to pick up a pot. I think I'll try a window box liner so it's just a slightly wider but much longer version of the galvanized trough provided in the kit. And maybe I'll put it on the floor in front of the slider instead of keeping it on the table. We'll see.

No comments: