Friday, January 27, 2012

Ancient Carved Pumpkins = Worm Food

Halloween day pumpkins were carved at work. I brought home two works of pumpkin art and lit them so they glowed all Angry Birds that night. By November 1st, the candles were spent and I began ignoring the pumpkins.

I continued ignoring them even while they gradually deflated and leaked pumpkin juices. I gotta tell ya, those of you out there thinking keeping worms would be "hard," preparing food for worms cannot get any easier.

After Thanksgiving, I thought the pumpkins were rotted "enough" to make the worms lick at their tiny lips. And then I let them stew in the California sun through the first few days of December. Yes, yes, I spoil the worms.

You might wonder why that one pumpkin on the left look like it's covered in dirt. Easy answer: it is! Let's all give thanks to the "gardener" who blows around loose top-soil from my "garden patio" every Tuesday morning at 7 a.m. with a leaf-blower. Yeah, that helps plant growth in my "patio", like, totally.

Saturday, December 3rd, I went outside with a bin lid and spatula to scoop the piles of deflated carved pumpkin up in order to feed them to the worms. I'll tell you right now, I was a little grossed out by the texture of the pumpkins. The fact that I could fold them in half with a plastic spatula caused slight spasms.


I managed to shovel the folded pumpkins onto a bin lid, brought the pumpkin mush into the apartment, and fed each of the five worm bins an equal portion of pumpkin without throwing up once.

No comments: