Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Mite Bloom

This is what you can expect if the humidity in your worm bin is too much. Remember what I said about humidity making a mite-friendly environment?

When I was getting ready to feed the worms, I found this brown blob on the floor near the leg of the table under which I keep the worms.


Looking closely, I saw they were mites.


When removing the lid from the nearest worm bin, the lid crunched. Flipping the lid upside-down, I saw quite a few mites on it.


And there were mites all over the cardboard kept over the poop.


Fortunately, the rest of the bin looked normal.

As an FYI, some mites are expected in a worm bin. You'll see them in little clumps on paper or on food. This many though is sort of pushing it. Cut the bin down to a paper-only feeding regiment until the moisture is back to normal. The mite population will miraculously reduce accordingly.

No comments: