Saturday, June 11, 2011

Prepping Number 5 and The Offspring Poop Beginning 052911

When feeding the worms, I assess them to determine
  • how much food I should give them
  • how much moisture they have: is it excessive or do they need more?
  • whether there's enough worm action happening in the 2nd story that I can remove the 1st story to begin processing that poop for delivery
May 29th, I found that Number 5 was worthy of having it's 1st story removed from the system. The compacted poop was churned up with my three-pronged gardening tool to loosen it up and aerate it, expediting drying.


That same day I found that The Offspring was also worthy of having it's 1st story removed from it's system. The Offspring's compacted poop was churned up, er I mean aerated, too.


Both 1st stories were placed on bin lids (without holes) so loose poop wouldn't get all over my kitchen floor. It's all about poop containment. Experience tells me that worms won't migrate through the holes in the bottom of the bin(s) and over the low lip of the lid(s) to die a treacherous death via drying on the floor. It just doesn't happen. Worms will stay where it's dark and moist. The worms might get skinny and weak from lack of food, but they will not venture into light.

I left both 1st stories uncovered to let the excess moisture from them evaporate.

And then I looked at them June 2nd. I might've churned them up a bit. Or not. Anyway, they looked like this:
I'd placed a Post-It in The Offspring that said "The Offspring" so I'd know which one was from The Offspring. I'm slick like that.

Fast forward to June 8th.

I transferred Number 5's poop from the bin into a 16L container.


And I did the same with The Offspring poop.
See how I track shit with the Post-It label? It's all technical-ish.

Stick around and I'll tell you how to "finish" a batch of poop so it's ready for dispense.

No comments: