Monday, June 13, 2011

Last Night on Netflix

I'm one of those people who have difficulty getting to sleep. I'm not sure why since I enjoy sleeping. You hear about people who think it's a "waste of time" and they don't "bother" with all of that "excess sleeping" bullshit. I think they are crazy. And old who miss their youth. Young people like sleeping and don't look down on other people who enjoy that daily slice of heaven.

Again, I don't understand why I have a hard time getting to sleep. It's insane. Considering how I feel about sleep, you'd think I'd be narcoleptic.

Mid-late '90's I'd plug in a VHS (rented from Blockbuster since you could rent a non-new-rental for $0.99/week) since by the time I came home from work regular TV was simply a high-pitched screen with the stupid lateral rainbow; turn the volume way down, set the sleep timer on the TV for 60 minutes and after straining to hear what was going on for 30 minutes, would finally pass out into blissfully comforting dreams.

Now, most nights I look for something of minor interest to fall asleep to on the iPad. I find a show/movie/whatever of some interest, push play, and turn the volume down to something just barely audible.

After straining to hear for 5 minutes I'm asleep within the next 0:04 minutes. Of course, I might toss and turn anyway for a couple hours only to realize how long I've been awake when the barely audible sound is suddenly non-existent. The neat thing about Netflix is that it remembers what I watched last so I can queue that last thing up from my "recently watched" list and fast forward to watch the next 5:04 minutes. Of course, my VHS player used to rewind at the end of the tape automatically, but that would mean I'd have to FF 5 minutes worth of tape. Or 30. Or 70, depending on the day.

Last night, I found that the A&E show "Hoarders" was available for streaming. I watched two episodes back-to-back with the volume at low. I strained to hear and could not stop watching. Finally I forced myself to turn that window to the universe off before pushing "play next episode" the third time.

I'm on my way to bed in a few minutes. I'm going to watch episode 3 of the first season. And possibly 4 of the first season. I hope I can turn it off before watching the 5th.

I'm sick.

No comments: