Saturday, June 25, 2011

Cang and Kimberly's Poop; Chuck's Poop with Worms



The purple-lidded Glad container, I think that's 4 cups, went to Cang. The gallon Ziploc went to Kimberly. The 4-gallon container Cang and Kimberly's portions are sitting on went to Chuck. Chuck's portion was about two gallons of clean poop plus the majority of the worms in the poop-batch. I say majority because it's impossible to collect every thread.

Once The Offspring's poop was transferred into a 4-gallon container, the poop-drying container, it was allowed to air-dry with the lid off, 060811.


Another 4-gallon container was placed next to The Offspring's poop-drying container. As I had time, while talking on the phone or listening to the radio, I sifted through the poop pulling out chunks of paper, pistachio shells and seed husks, piling them on the lid of one of the containers. Pieces of plastic, stickers, twist-ties and rubber bands were placed on the lid of the second container.

As I worked through the poop, the clean poop was transferred to the second container, the one on the right, below. Worms were separated into an 8-cup Glad container for Chuck along with some poop.


This is what a full batch of cleaned poop looks like.


And usually, this is where I snap the lid on and call it ready to deliver. This time though I divied it up into Cang's Glad and Kimberly's Ziploc containers leaving the rest in the container.

This pile is the edibles left from the worm poop. I'd dumped the pile of plastics into the garbage but this edible pile wound up in one of the worm bins, Number 5, I think. I could've left this stuff in the poop, but for presentation purposes, particularly when delivering it to a first-time recipient, especially when that person will be using it in their houseplants, I prefer the poop to be as clean as possible.


As I said, the worms were separated out and placed in an 8-cup Glad container. I'd put a melon cube in with them and topped them off with paper.


Chuck's worms were pretty spindly as they are all immature. I've noticed over time that the worm poop is sort of a worm nursery. Baby worms, threads, hatch from the casings and go about their worm business growing up to be little toddler worms, all pink and cute. Chuck's worms, while young and spindly, were thriving worms.

Before delivery, as I'd assumed Chuck was going to spread the wormy-poop over a grape-plant or two, I removed the paper from the 8-cup container and dumped the worms into the white-lidded 4-gallon container.

Post poop-delivery, it sounds that Chuck is planning to raise the worms in my poop-drying container. It'll work, but Chuck will have to particularly attentive to worm light levels, water/humidity levels and paper-food-poop ratios.

I met Kimberly for lunch Tuesday to deliver her poop and she had a big (as in shopping) bag of straight-cut phone book paper for me. I wound up giving that paper to Chuck Wednesday as he was suffering over-analysis paralysis of suitable paper. I hope The Offspring's babies are doing ok.

Maybe I should build Chuck a worm bin and deliver that, asking him to dump the worms and poop in there. My intention was never that the juveniles would be raised in primarily mama and papa poop. Besides, I need my poop-drying container back.

While Number 5's poop has been on deck for cleaning, I've got another batch drying out in it's first story (Number 4's I think) and it should be transferred soon to a smaller container for sorting or the babies in there will die a slow drying death.

That's it, new worm parents should be required to fill out a form so I am completely clear in how the worms should be delivered.

Oh my, what have I done to my those babies?

Wait, Chuck's an engineer, paying particular attention to humidity levels etc. He's been asking me many questions about worm-keeping.

WTF? Doesn't Chuck have a link to this freakin' blog?

No comments: