Friday, April 8, 2011

Vibram Jaya's

I'd purchased a pair of Vibram Classics about a year ago. For a while I wore those Classics all day long every single say. I learned that those Vibrams would stink, I mean be downright wrank, after a week of continuous all-day-long wear. Weekly, I'd wash those Vibrams. And while I waited for those Classics to dry, I'd be forced into conventional shoes and my feet would be miserable.

REI, the store I purchased my Vibram Classics from, sent me a coupon for 20% off an item as well as my co-op dividends. Cha-ching! Last weekend I went Vibram shopping. As an FYI, the REI in Santa Ana relocated to Tustin, which, in my opinion sucks.

This pair of Vibram Jaya's were my destiny.


Different from my Classics in length of upper (the Classic uppers are more like a ballet shoe with much less coverage than the Jaya's) and type of sole (the Classics had a uniform sole with some texture, where the Jaya's have distinct sole texture -- the grey parts), the Jaya's fit differently than the classics: I wear a 40 in Classics and 39 in Jaya.
 

It's a little bit more "work" to get into the Jaya's as the uppers require your foot to enter the shoe in one direction but to accomodate your foot naturally, you need to turn your foot/toes at what feels like a 90° angle. I have to say the Jaya's are really effin' comfortable. I was worried that they'd feel more like "shoes" than the Classics since there is more sole texture and upper length, but I think I was being paranoid.

I'll be able to make concrete comparisons on the Vibram Classics vs Vibram Jayas soon.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Are you a member of the REI Membership? Is that how you got a 20% off coupon that was usable towards Vibram FiveFingers?

Worm Wrangler said...

Yes, I signed up for an REI membership when I bought my Vibram Classics last year. What can I say, I like co-ops. Plus, a LIFETIME membership for $20? I gambled that I'd love my Vibrams and would want more plus that they'd be available at REI for many years. And maybe that I'd start camping.

It just so happened that when I was really anxious about buying another pair of Vibrams that the dividends were sent out. If I remember right, the dividend "check" was included in a catalog which had the 20% off coupon built-in. I almost threw that catalog away along with that coupon and dividend!

I'm not sure you need a membership to get the catalog and coupon(s). I'd look at REI online to see if you can get discounts by signing up online if you're not ready to go a membership.