Wednesday, February 2, 2011

So I Bought a Balance



Kicking around the idea of buying a balance recently, I picked one up from Costco. Is that kismet or what? Ok, not so much kismet as I saw the balance at Costco, came home, thought about getting it, went back a week later and got one.

While I haven't felt a need to acquire a balance to portion out worm food, I am trying to quantify how much food I feed the worms during a feeding. So far I've done it by eyeball volumes. Maybe some masses would help you know how much I feed the crews. Since other vermiculturists online do it by mass, I might as well get in on the quantity language.

And by way of deduction, I might learn a better estimate of my worm quantity. After all, 5 worm bins is pretty loosey-goosey. I'm guessing 5-6 pounds of worms total, but who really knows, right? I know I don't. What is said in literature is that worms will consume and excrete their weight daily. As my worms are contained, it should be easy to determine how many pounds of worms I really have, right?

Here's the balance scoop:

  • less than $20
  • 7.5 x 7.5 x 0.75"
  • measures metric or Imperial
  • 11 lb or 5000 g capacity
  • reads 0.1 oz or 1 g increments
  • add and weigh tare function
  • backlit LCD digital display
  • glass work surface
  • auto-shut off after 3 minutes
  • non-slip feet
  • includes 3 AAA batteries

What more do you need to collect the mass of worm food? I think it'll be perfecto!

No comments: