Monday, January 10, 2011

A Batch of The Offspring's Poop is Ready to Go

I put a second story on The Offspring September 12th. Each time I fed The Offspring, I made it a point to look at the first story and give it a good stir. It's a nice way to determine if I'm supplying enough paper when feeding the second story. If the poop in the first story is too goopy with moisture, I add more paper to the second story. Simple enough, eh?

I fed The Offspring's second story 8 times over three months before I decided that it was time to do something with the castings in the first story. December 12th, I removed the second story, put the second story in the catch bin, and took a look at the poop.

The poop was compact from the weight of the second story and was pretty damp. I gave it a good stir with my trowel.


And then I left the uncovered poopy bin by the other worm bins.


And it sat there for nearly a full month.  I think I stirred the poop around twice in that time.


Last night I removed the inorganics and transferred the larger uneaten clumps of paper from the poop into The Offspring worm bin.


And that left me with a 16-quart container of worm poop.


Not Tony's gonna get this in the morning. About a month from now, Bill's batch should be ready.

No comments: