Friday, December 10, 2010

Jalapeño Cheddar Drop Biscuits

Because I'm lucky enough to work at a big little company that holds company-wide potlucks on occasion, I get to concoct food to try out on quite a few people. At least one person liked what I made enough to ask for the recipe! Marsi could've been just being polite, but what the hell, I'm gonna post it here and be all proud about it.

I made three batches for the potluck, finishing around 3 a.m. this morning. (I got a late start -- it's a good thing a batch is done in less than 30 minutes). By the time they were served, the biscuits were room temperature and weren't as good as the four hot ones I'd eaten for an extremely late dinner (or breakfast for the crazy morning people).


Jalapeño Cheddar Drop Biscuits
adapted from a combination of about 5 different recipes

2 c all-purpose flour
2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
6 tbsp butter, cold, cut-up
3-4 tbsp finely chopped jalapenos, seeded
1 heaping c sharp cheddar, finely shredded
1 c milk

Heat oven to 450°F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Or if you don't have parchment paper, lube the baking sheet with some butter.

In a small bowl, combine cheese and jalapeños.

Combine flour, baking powder and salt in a medium bowl. Cut in butter with a pastry blender until mixture resembles small peas.

Stir jalapeño mixture into the flour mixture.

Stir in milk just until soft dough forms -- don't overmix as the biscuits will get tough.

Drop dough by spoonfuls onto baking sheet, aiming for 12 dough balls.

Bake 10-11 minutes or until light brown on top and bottom.

Best served warm.


I think there is room in the recipe to add 1/2 cup of bell peppers or corn or even a small can of green chiles without having to adjust the other ingredients. With the water content of those ingredients, the additions might even reduce the density, making for a lighter, fluffier biscuit. I intended to add corn, but mistakenly thought I had some already and didn't buy any when I was at the store for jalapeños and cheese.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow, those biscuits were damn tasty.

Not Tony

PS, does this que me up twice?

Worm Wrangler said...

Thanks, Not Tony! Let me know how they turn out if you make 'em.

P.S. No.