Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Why Catch Bins are a Good Idea

Remember when I said you should have a catch bin under your worm bin? Ok, maybe I never said so explicitly, but it was always implied even from the beginning.

This is why:


That's water, wet poop, and worms accumulated in The Offspring's catch bin. You really don't want this leaking all over your kitchen floor or whatever location you decide to keep worms.

Look at this mess:

Note that there are worms right in the mucky water! As an FYI, the container in there is an old Tidy Cat container.

I drained off the water caught in the Tidy Cat container cavity (formed over time due to a hole that eventually blew open in a corner) straight into the catch bin, taking care to strain out the worms floating around in there (and yes, they were still alive though slow-moving). Then I scraped the worms and poop into The Offpring so the worms could get back to work.

What kind of spa/resort do they think I'm running here?

I'll admit that the caught water was fairly stank. I poured the poop-brown water from the catch-bin over a bush in front of my apartment. And no, I didn't bother to rinse the catch-bin out before I put it right back where it belonged. However, I did wipe the pouring edge with a piece of TP left on a roll destined for worm feeding. You can hose out the bin, scrub it if you want, but once the water accumulation is discarded, the odor is pretty much non-existent.

It's up to you though, you clean-freak, worm-bin-wanna-be-havin' friends of mine. One day, you'll find that you can't have enough worm bins...yes, yes, my friends, we will revel in that together. It's only a matter of time...and I can wait.

And lie in wait I will.

No comments: